SuperFly Bonsai’s Boon Mix
This mix is the most commonly used and accepted mix by bonsai professionals around the world. Here in the United States it is known as “Boon Mix” after Boon Manakitivipart who pushed the mix to promote better bonsai tree health in America.
Is It Dirt?
No. Bonsai trees do not like “dirt” and will in most cases die if left in dirt over long periods of time. This is substrate.
What Is In It?
The primary components are Akadama, Pumice and Black Lava. We also added a bit of Horticultural Charcoal and Decomposed Granite. These components have been found over time to provide the best drainage, water retention, nutrient retention and air circulation possible to promote healthy bonsai.
– 1/3 Japanese Hard Akadama – is a clay like component that is excellent at retaining water and it breaks down allowing roots to grown in it’s place.
– 1/3 USA Pumice – is a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining water and nutrients.
– 1/3 USA Black Lava Rock – is also a volcanic byproduct that is excellent at retaining moisture. Black lave also adds structure to the soil.
– Horticultural Charcoal – was added to harbor beneficial bacteria and add humic acid in the soil.
– Decomposed Granite – adds weight and structure.
How Do I Use It?
This is “real” bonsai soil. Be sure your bonsai pot has holes in the bottom covered by bonsai mesh.
Each micro climate may require different amounts of water. On very hot/dry days you may need to water two/three times while around freezing you may need to water every week or two. Push your finger 1″ into the soil and feel for moisture. If it is dry, it is time to water.
2.5 Qt = @ 12 Cups
1.25Qt = @ 6 Cups
- Pre Mixed & Ready To Use – Sifted Prior To Bagging – 1/3 Hard Japanese Akadama – 1/3 Pumice – 1/3 USA Sourced Black Lava – A Bit of Horticultural Charcoal & Granite Added
- Promotes Excellent Drainage & Water Retention – This mix is used by bonsai professionals around the world and has been found to drain well while holding the proper amount of moisture that bonsai need.
- Non-Organic Mix – This mix is “real” bonsai soil and is made up of primarily non-organic components (no dirt, bark, mulch, etc.). This is really substrate. This has been found to provide optimal drainage, water retention, nutrient uptake and air to the roots (which they love).
- Easy Zip Resealable Bag – Simply tear off the top then reseal the easy to close resealable bag over and over until you are ready to re-order soil.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee – If you are not 100% happy with this product, we will refund you in full.