Matteuccia struthiopteris is native to North America and grows quite well in USDA plant hardiness zones 3-7. Once established, it will grow to a height of three to six feet with a spread about the same. Ostrich fern grows in vase-shaped clumps called crowns. The showy, arching, sterile fronds are plume-like and reminiscent of the tail feathers of the bird from which the common name is derived. When growing an ostrich fern, you’ll notice other, shorter fronds that emerge a few weeks after the initial fiddleheads. These are the fertile fronds that produce spores for reproduction. These fertile fronds are much shorter, only 12-20 inches long, and will remain standing long after the larger fronds have died back in dormancy.
Easy to start, just fill a shallow tray with fresh potting mix, and moisten thoroughly and firm to a even/level ground. Then gently spread the spores evenly on top and mist them. Spread the spores on the surface of a humus-rich sterilized soil and cover with plastic to retain moisture. Check periodically to make sure they are still moist. In no time you too will have itty bitty baby Fern plants.
The Ostrich Fern grows fronds up to 5-6 feet long at maturity, they like dappled shade and can tolerate a number of soil types, preferring a more acidic sandy loam. They also make a delightful potted plant as well. The evergreen leaves of Ferns are a bold patterned emerald green that is recognized as a must have for naturalistic/woodland garden enthusiasts. So if you are looking for a hardy fern to accent your hostas and other shade garden plants the fern is definitely for you.
- QUALITY SPORES – Spores are the equivalent of seeds for ferns. You’ll receive approximately 250 spores
- SHIPPING – Items will be shipped 1-3 business days of receiving payment via USPS. Shipping usually takes anywhere from 3-14 days
- FEEDBACK- If you do not satisfy with the purchase, please do not leave negative/neutral feedback. Contact us for solution, We’ll fix it.
- TESTED – All seeds have been test sown to ensure germination. Please familiarize yourself with growing conditions and instructions for your seeds
- IMPORTANT – We guarantee that they arrive in good condition. We Can’t Guarantee how much you will be able to grow as too many variables come into play